2009. szeptember 18., péntek

I frequently find it difficult to switch between the languages. I have the same feeling as Richard Papen in The Secret History, when he is wondering about ancient Greek and modern English, and the difference between the thought patterns.
The other day, for example, I recalled one of my dreams, and I wanted to say that pictures from it still haunted me. I was talking in Hungarian, and for an inexplicable reason I couldn't find the proper word for "haunt". I simply felt that there's no notion capable of conveying the same meaning as this word. After a while, with the help of my friends, I found a proper translation, but still I think, having read all those novels, stories in English that are full of ghosts, nightmares, superstitions, "haunt" has a slightly different meaning than "kísért" for me.
Am I niminy-piminy? :)
(A new expression I learnt today.)

- the meaning: (adj): affectedly dainty or refined

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése