2009. október 23., péntek

I'm actually reading a German novel. It was written by Hermann Hesse, the title: Narziss and Goldmund.
At first I thought it was some kind of story of two gay boys in the Middle Ages, but the book eventually surprised me. I haven't finished it yet, but I can't wait reading it on and on. I'm quite sad, actually, that I'll finish this book in the near future. When I start reading a novel, I absorb in it in a very short time, and then I become the inhabitant of the novelist's world. It is always a sad awakening, when I finish a book.
So, Narziss and Goldmund are close friends, they met in their childhood as students of an abbey school. They found themselves attracted to each other which at first seems to be almost love - not a brotherly one. Narziss helps Goldmund to discover his real self, and as a result G. leaves the abbey and begins his journey to acquire a lot of experiences. During his adventures he finds out that he has artistic qualities and he imagines his final masterpiece moulded from his mother - who left him - and from the Virgin Mary, and which will be named after the first woman, Eve.
During his journey G. is attracted to several women, and he experiences many kinds of love. Once it almost caused his death, because he made love to a baron's mistress, and they caught him, and wanted to hang him. As a miracle, his old friend, Narziss was staying in the same castle, and after recognising G. he made the baron release him. Now I'm with this episode, as they are riding their horses home, back to the abbey. They have started to inquire about the last ten years while they didn't see each other.
I'm really interested in the continuation of the story. I'd like to find out how the two guys' lives are connected, and how will their friendship end.
I think, this novel is similar to other "development novels" like that of Goethe. Goldmund is going deeper and deeper in the human soul, his journey has two directions, one geographically, the other mentally. I like reading about his discoveries which amaze me, and makes me realize how little I know about myself.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése